This chicken dish gets bold flavor from capers, tomatoes, and olives. Give it even more richness with kalamata or other specialty olives.
Tuscan Chicken with Olives and Capers Recipe
Total Time: 35 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Yield: 4 servings
2 tsp. olive oil, divided use
4 (4-oz) raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
4 medium shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
1 Tbsp. capers
2 Tbsp. sliced black olives
2 cups cooked brown rice
1. Heat 1 tsp. oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add chicken; cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Keep warm.
3. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil over medium-high heat.
4. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
5. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
6. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme. Season with pepper if desired; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
7. Add capers, olives, and chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Remove bay leaf.
8. Divide rice evenly between four serving plates. Top with chicken breast and sauce.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Fat: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 33 g (Fiber: 4 g; Sugar: 4 g)
Protein: 26 g