These moist, whole wheat bran muffins have less than 100 calories each! Plums, prunes, and rich apple butter make them naturally moist and sweet. They make a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack you can eat anytime.
Tip: It’s easy to remove skins from plums. Dip plums, one at a time, in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. When you remove them from the water the skin should easily slip off.
Plum Bran Muffins
Total Time: 28 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 18 min.
Yield: 12 servings, 1 muffin each
1½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup wheat bran (or oat bran)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ cup apple butter, no sugar added
½ cup low-fat buttermilk (or nonfat plain yogurt)
2 large egg whites
1 cup chopped skinned plums (about 2 medium)
½ cup chopped pitted prunes
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare twelve muffin cups by lining with muffin papers or coating with spray.
3. Combine flour, bran, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Combine apple butter, buttermilk, and egg whites in a large bowl; mix well.
5. Add flour mixture to apple butter mixture; mix until just blended.
6. Add plums and prunes; mix until just blended.
7. Divide batter among twelve prepared muffin cups.
8. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
Total Fat: 1 g
Total Carbohydrates: 22 g (Fiber: 3 g; Sugar: 5 g)
Protein: 4 g