By adding sweet potatoes as a side to your scrambled egg whites, you add even more nutrients to your breakfast plate. Rosemary adds great, fresh flavor. If you don’t have rosemary you can use any fresh herb you like; try thyme, chives, or cilantro.
Save time by making this breakfast with leftover roasted or baked sweet potatoes. Or, instead of steaming, you can quickly cook one in a microwave while you prepare the rest of this breakfast. Pierce a sweet potato four to five times with a fork, and microwave it on high for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Peel it and cut into pieces, or slice it in half and scoop out the center.
Scrambled Egg Whites with Steamed Sweet Potato
Total Time: 16 min.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cooking Time: 11 min.
Yield: 1 serving
½ large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 tsp. olive oil
2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves removed and chopped, stems discarded
1. Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil over high heat. Place sweet potato in top of steamer; steam for 5 to 7 minutes, or until fork-tender. Set aside.
2. Combine egg whites and egg in a small bowl; whisk to blend.
3. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
4. Add egg mixture; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until set.
5. Place eggs and sweet potato on a serving plate. Sprinkle sweet potato with rosemary; serve immediately.
Tip: Sweet potato can also be cooked in a microwave. Pierce clean sweet potato 4 to 5 times with a fork. Microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Peel and cut into pieces.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 10 g
Total Carbs: 15 g (Fiber: 2 g; Sugar: 4 g)
Protein: 22 g
One thought on “Scrambled Egg Whites with Steamed Sweet Potato”
I love sweet potatoes! Just did a scramble the other morning with tomatoes, spinach, and feta 🙂 It’s my favorite meal of the day.