Faced with buffets of wings, nachos, and vats of chips and dips, Americans consume more calories on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year. Unless you have a will of steel, it’s likely that you’re going to indulge. Here is a lighter version of seven-layer dip – heavy on fresh veggies and nonfat refried beans and low-fat yogurt instead of sour cream – to help you get through the day without totally sacking your fitness goals. Serve with baked corn tortilla chips (recipe here).
Healthier Seven-Layer Dip
Total Time: 25 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.
Yield: 10 servings
2 medium ripe avocados
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 dash ground black pepper
8 oz low-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp. all-natural taco seasoning, no salt added
1 (15-oz) can nonfat refried beans, warm
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, ends trimmed, sliced thin
2 Tbsp. shredded cheddar (or pepper jack) cheese (½ oz)
1. Mash avocados in a medium bowl.
2. Add lime juice, salt, and pepper; mix well. Set aside.
3. Combine yogurt and taco seasoning in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Top serving platter with beans, avocado mixture, yogurt mixture, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, and cheese.
5. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Nutritional Information (per serving; not including tortilla chips):
Total Fat: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 13 g (Fiber: 6 g; Sugar: 3 g)
Protein: 6 g
3 thoughts on “Healthier Seven-Layer Dip”